Monday, January 15, 2007
People looking their worst is always more fun than dogs
As it turns out (and this is no suprise) that people are more interested in seeing what I looked like after surgery and less interested in my dogs. So just to catch everyone one up I will start at the beginning. On December 7th, 2006 I had surgery to correct a 7mm overbite (~ 1/4 inch for the metrically challenged). While they were in there breaking my jaw bones they also moved my chin forward, which is taking drastically longer to heal. If I can get digital images of my xrays, I will be sure to post them. So here is what I looked like before...
And this is what I looked like 1 day after surgery. I believe this was the worst day as far as the swelling is concerned.
I was encouraged to talk at this point, but was unable to even make a whisper of a sound. In addition to having my teeth wired shut there was a bite plate between them. I was unable to get anything thicker than water in to drink and pushing air through to make a sound was just as difficult. After 11 days the wires came off. As I was sitting in the chair the doctor explained to me everything she was going to do. I must have given her a funny looks because she began to explain that a lot of people pass out on her. So I'm thinking to myself, "That won't happen to me. I work with blood and guts, vomit, stool, surgeries, you name its so I know I can handle it." She begins to work, there are only 3 wires she needs to undo, and I feel my face begin to flush and I get warm all over. No, I didn't pass out, but I understood immediately why people do. There are some things that we just have no control over. After have a jaw broken in many places and not being able to move it, makes it just a little disconcerting when someone starts messing around with it. So she finally gets the wires out and tells me to open my mouth so she can get the bite plate out. Wow, who knew opening your jaw would be so difficult! She was finally able weasle it out and I was able to brush my teeth on the inside for the 1st time in 11 days. That is when I realized that it is nearly impossible to get a full sized toothbrush in your mouth when you can't open it *sigh* I did the best I could under the circumstances. So here is what I look like now.
It has been 39 days since surgery. There is still some swelling in the chin and under the jaw. People ask me all the time if I am glad I had it done. I tell them to ask me in 6 months to a year when hopefully all the feeling is back and my normal jaw function has returned. I'm still waiting for a "normal" smile, although I have a feeling that even as the face I see in the mirror is different so will be my smile. It is weird having a different face, but I am sure I will get used to is and soon I will no longer notice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Wow! What a difference. I'm not sure I would have recognized you from your profile view. Looking forward to seeing you again in person to see the difference.
Thanks for the photos, finally! You do look great. Your profile shot needs you smiling a little better, the downturned mouth isn't as flattering as I am sure you look normally!
So glad to hear you aren't sorry about the surgery yet, but I can't wait to hear your opinion in 6 months or a year.
I was trying to make the phots similar to the "before" photos, It's harder than it looks!
I'm so glad you sent the pictures - it will be so fun to watch your progress as you continue to heal and eventually get rid of the braces. Of course since you are my daughter, you have always been beautiful and will continue to be so! I love you,
Mom
Things are looking great, Denise. That is a beautiful Le Forte surgery you had done. Did they advance your mandible at all or just retrude/shorten your maxilla? Hang in there with the discomfort...your parasthesia should be resolving and you will slowly regain feeling and function.
Well rumor has it Dr. O'Ryan is the best in the country. They do ~800 surgeries a year. People travel from all over so she can do the surgery. Nothing was done to the mandible. They consider a slightly gummy smile a "youthful" look. And really if you look at photos of me from just a few years ago and compare them to more recent photos, you can see how my face has already begun to fall :(
Hi Denise, I'm Michelle's friend Michelle. I too, had this surgery about 8 years back. Hang in there! It WILL be worth it. Sounds like they have improved the recovery time somewhat. I wasn't chewing for 6-8 weeks and I felt like I was looking at a different person in the mirror too. 3 months post surgery I was pretty good to go. The best part for me was being able to eat pizza with out cutting it into little pieces--oh and losing like 15 lbs in the process. Looking forward to more updates!
Post a Comment